On our way from Butedale to Bishop Hot Springs, Dall Porpoises visited our boat.

The dock at Bishop Hot Springs is rated for 30 foot boats but we managed to tie up together on the dock. DS had a bit of a struggle to get tied up with the wind blowing them off the dock. So thoughtful of them to choose the leeward side and allow us to tie up on the windward side.

After a quick sponge bath, we all went for a soak in the hot pool. It was great to feel the warm water compared to the cool air. We had a good weather for it too.

Many boats had left floats and memorabilia.

While in the hot pool, 30 ft sailboat motored into the bay. They tied to the only mooring, which is also rated for boats smaller than ours. With three crew and a large dog, they had to make a few trips to the dock rowing their little dinghy. No doubt, they would have preferred the dock. They did gently mention the boat size limit for the dock in the park guide.

Later, a fish boat came and rafted up to Darwin Sound. DS was the leeward boat, so that made more sense than rafting up to Whistler. The skipper and his crew member chatted with Al & Irene for a few minutes and went for a hot tub. When they returned after a long soak, they hinted they wanted to party but, with their neighbours going below and closing their hatch, they got the message. Best not to have a big heavy boat rafting overnight on this little dock if the wind came up. We were glad they untied and left.

After dinner, we went up for a second hot tub. It stays light so late, we didn’t even need a torch. Early the next morning, Monty went for another soak. Irene was just returning from hers.

On our way north, we motored down Verney Channel, a pretty stretch of water with snow covered mountains and steep cliff faces like The Chief in Squamish. Spray from humpbacks were spotted.

Hartley Bay was given a pass. We had fuel and water and there was no good reason to stop. We motored up Greenville Channel to Klewnuggit Inlet. As we passed the inlet, our boats discussed continuing on but with a head wind and current went against, we turned back and went into Klewnuggit. It was already a 62 NM day. The anchorage in East Inlet is surrounded by mountains. A Red-Throated Loon paid us a visit.

With clear skies, Monty made it another BBQ night.

Next morning thick fog delayed our departure.

A fish boat came in to pick up a crab trap. The boat was from Richmond, BC, with Chinese speaking crew. I called out and asked if they had any to sell. One said, you want some crab? I said sure! They put 3 nice Dungeness in a bag and with a long pole maneuvered their boat to deposit the bag in our dinghy. How much, I asked? They said it was a gift! How kind!

Our biggest concern in fog is watching for deadheads and logs.

Below a “fogbow” as Monty called it.

Below, a photo of our boat (Irene’s).

Next up, Prince Rupert.